Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Where has the First Amendment Gone?

Matt wrote a few weeks ago about the military General who said that being gay was immoral. This comment received intense scrutiny and oppression from the media and others. Now we have another public figure to take aim at.

I'm sure by now everyone reading this has heard about the comments that radio personality, Don Imus made on his show. He was speaking about the girls on the Rutgers' basketball team saying that they are, "nappy headed hos." Let me first say that I am appalled by what he said and I truly believe that racism is a terrible and destructive force in our great nation. I by no means agree with what he said, and I think that comments like this one seriously affect people who they are directed towards.

Having said that there is a law that protects Imus and it's called the First Amendment! I do not believe we should hide behind that protection but it is there for when people slip up like he did. If we attack men like him and the previously mentioned General, we are in essence attacking their basic freedoms. The freedom of speech was obviously very important to the founding fathers of this great country as they made it number one on the list.

I'm sure that while I write for this blog many people will be offended by what I say, and I tell them this Don't Read It!!! In the same way when I turn on to a news program with completely leftist slant, I don't call the congress for help I turn the station. If by some chance I was to be driving home from work one day and heard some radio program with a racist bigot degrading the achievements of a college basketball team, I would not call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, partly because I would never call them anyways, mostly because I would CHANGE THE STATION.

No comments: